Today, in part one of our Ravens101 2012 Season awards we will hand out our Special Teams Player of the Year award and give some honorable mentions as well.
First we will hand out some honorable mentions for Special Teams Player of the Year:
- Sam Koch – As far as punters go, Koch was one of the best in the league when Baltimore needed him the most. Although he did not have a stellar Super Bowl, he still made a touchdown saving tackle in the game. Koch was fifth in the NFL in punting yards (3911), sixth in total punts (83), and even ran for a touchdown on a fake field goal against the Oakland Raiders.
- Justin Tucker – A phenomenal rookie year for the undrafted rookie out of the University of Texas as he was invited to camp and beat out incumbent kicker Billy Cundiff. Tucker nearly took this award with his fantastic season as made 30 of his 33 field goal attempts and his 90.9% made field goal percentage was good for sixth in the NFL among those with 15 or more made field goals. Tucker was a perfect 4-4 on field goals over 50+ yards and was also a perfect 4-4 on field goals in the postseason.
It will come as no surprise that Ravens101 has named Jacoby Jones as the Special Teams Player of the Year. Jones had an amazing season returning both punts and kickoffs for the Ravens as he was tied at the top of the league with three total returns for touchdowns and even threw in another on in the Super Bowl. Jacoby was also in the top six in the league in both total punt return yards and kickoff return yards. His ability to take one to the house was always in the back of minds of opponents, but his greatest attribute to the team in the return game was his ability to flip the field for Baltimore. Countless times he was able to either give Baltimore a short field to work with, or keep the Ravens from having to start a drive deep in their own territory.
Be sure to "like" our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BaltimoreRavens101
Follow us on Twitter @BaltRavens101
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Insider Report for Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl XLVII Opponent San Francisco 49′ers: Special Teams/Coaching
- Ravens101′s Baltimore Ravens Mid-season Report Card
- Five Things Ravens101 Would Like to See After the Baltimore Ravens Bye Week
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/q37